Sunday 30 December 2012

Research and planning-Mise-en-scene- inspired from American Beauty (1999) and La Haine (1995)

Whilst thinking about the mise-en scene to be used in each of the shots for the thriller trailer I came across to things from two different existing films that I want to use in my film trailer as well.

American Beauty (1999)

In this film there is lots of uses of blue items scattered everywhere in the scene and on the walls in the house and these help create a cold and harsh feeling to the film. I will also be using this technique and have decided to use lots of blue items such as a blue toothbrush, blue towel, blue mat and blue shower curtain in the bathroom scene as I think this would be an effective use of mise-en-scene to create meaning within the scene and to give the audience the idea that the environment is cold and quite unpleasant.




La Haine (1995)

In this film there is lots of scenes where messages are delivered through the use of words or sentences. An example of this is where there is a shot of one of the main characters, Hubert and above him in graffit it says" l'avenir c'est nous" which means "the future is us." I will also be using this mise-en scene technique in my trailer as I think it is a great way to get across extra detail and depth about the characters and the story without using any extra dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment