Wednesday 12 December 2012

Research and planning-inspiration for costumes-Tsotsi (2005)

In order to get some ideas for costumes for the main character I decided to look at existing films that I had previously seen to see if I liked any of the costumes used on these. I came across Tsotsi (2005) which is a foreign languagn film that I have studied in A2 film studies.

In this film the main character is fully dressed in black at the beginning but as his character begins to improve and softens the colour of his clothing changes and gets lighter throughout the film and finishes with him wearing a white t-shirt. This is effective in showing the characters transition in the film as he is a "baddy" at the beginning and black connotes death, evil and dark and by the end we as the audience like him and feel sorry for him and white connotes good, pure and inncocent. White is also normally used for the hero.

After looking into this film I have decided to have costumes for my main character similar to this to present messages similar to this film. However my costumes will kind of  be the opposite to what is seen in Tsotsi. I will start off with the light coloured clothes at the beginning of the trailer to show the main character is the hero but by the end the main character will have darker clothing on to represent the fact that he may possibly be the bad guy after all. This will also help us show ambiguious messages about our main character and make the audience unsure as to whether he is the good guy or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment